Friday, April 17, 2009

Some moderate progress

Things have been moving at a strange pace, neither fast, nor slow, nor at what one would expect.  It would undoubtedly move super fast if I had all the tools that I would like to make this project happen in my shop, but, alas, it is not to be.  SO that means I have had to either rig stuff up or make things myself.  An example of both:
Mandrel This is a sanding barrel chucked up in my drill press that I made out of MDF and all-thread using a holesaw, with some trimming afterward using a chisel and sandpaper.  Note the hole in the platform (as it were) that allows me to move the mandrel up and down like an oscillating sander.  I used contact cement to attach 1" wide sandpaper strip in a spiral around it, which gives a remarkably close-in-diameter mandrel to hog out material between the mounting bumps on the upper triple tree to fit my mini-speedo, seen in the background.  I had a picture of the speedo sitting snugly in its new spot but, now that I'm typing, I can't find it.  You can ask c(h)ole - it's smooth.  I may take another pic soon, perhaps after I make the new bracket to attach it.
I decided to go ahead and make the modifications to the engine now instead of waiting until the end of the season to tear down the engine.  This will include a 707cc rebore and a 277* rephase, which together will produce more power with less vibration.  It may make for a later start, but I'll be proud of what I have sooner and less money will be wasted in buying redundant parts.  To do the work on the engine I made an engine stand:
Stand
another blackberry pic.  apologies.
Hastily welded and unevenly powdercoated, it doesn't look pretty but it does the job without my cringing if I scratch the finish.  I didn't even bother to clean the scale off of the metal before I coated it.  The long arms deflect minimally even with the complete engine attached.  One of those arms is gusseted to stress the weld less, but the welding and cooling warped the arm a bit, so I elected to leave the other alone and see how it goes.  Works a charm. 
Next step is to pull the crank apart and rephase like this guy.  I would press it apart myself in the same but that would involve finding some cheater pipes and buying some 1/2" plate, which would probably end up being only slightly less expensive than having Lindsay Machine do the work for me, which would also include a truing of the crank.  They'll also be doing the cylinder bore, which I can't do myself, so might as well make the two happen in one place. 
About a week ago I was looking over the wiring diagram for an idiot-check before I get started there when I noticed an idiocy - by wiring my front turn signals to the same signal wires as the rear signals, they will operate like brake lights as well.  Don't want to confuse any oncoming motorists, now do we?  It also turns out that the Tri-star module needs a flashing signal for the turns anyway, so I rewired a bit in illustrator:
Finished Wiring Diagram1
And that's the notable progress I've acheived.  In discussing the small amount of progress, I'd like to issue a warning. I purchased a small soda blaster from Harbor Freight.  Garbage.  I know that they don't particularly sell quality goods at HF, but this thing works worse than anything I have purchased there.  It will blast soda for less than a second before it loses siphoning pressure, which results in just blowing air.  I've been able to narrow it down to limited air flow either in the manifold block or a hard PVC tube that goes in between the moisture filter and the manifold block.  I'll mod to see what I can make happen, but either way, whoever green-lighted this thing to go on shelves needs to be slapped.  Don't buy this thing.
Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment